Anita's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Sep 14, 14

bookshelves: young-adult-middle-grade
Read from June 07 to 09, 2012

"The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention."
This is a book about real heroes. Teenagers who don't fight (or love) vampires, the oppressive government of the brave, new world, or the mean girls in high school to get that hunky (I know, that dates me) guy to date them. This is an intelligent story about teens with cancer, sometimes heroically fighting, sometimes wallowing, and always trying to find a way to live in a world with one foot in the grave. I loved the book within the book, the witty dialogue, the realistic portrayals of teens and families in impossible conditions, and the black humor of cancer. I remember going to chemoland with a sister--sort of like cancervania in this book.
A Warning: I try to give students a heads up when they are reading a book with a sad ending, for example, "Read the last chapter in your bedroom--not on the bus." In this case you might want to read the whole thing alone. Not that it is unrelentingly sad, but I found it unrelentingly emotional.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristin Bonacci I've been wanting to read this, your review clinches it. Thanks.

Lisa Nelson I loved your review so much that I hope you don't mind me quoting you in mine!

Anita Actually, I'm honored. It was a great book.