Clare's Reviews > Record Collecting for Girls: Unleashing Your Inner Music Nerd, One Album at a Time

Record Collecting for Girls by Courtney E. Smith

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: music, nonfiction
Read from June 05 to 07, 2012

It took me longer to think about what to write about this book than it did to read the book itself. After some thought, I decided to give it a weak 3 stars. I gobbled it up on the bus to and from work in the last few days and I laughed a lot. It's not about record collecting, but it is about girls who like music, specifically girls who like boys, and especially girls who like boys who like music or even better are musicians. Which is to say, it's a little shallow, but there was enough here to resonate with me even though our ages are so very different, that I enjoyed the book overall. There's not a lot in here about the actual music. Her chapter on not dating guys who are into the Smiths is very funny, as is the break-up chapter. I'm not quite over the author comparing Steely Dan to Hall and Oates (but with not as much soul) and for all the pseudo-feminist talk there are some assumptions and language use in here that made me cringe, but I couldn't hate it in the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Record Collecting for Girls.