Vanessa theJeepDiva's Reviews > Hearts of Darkness

Hearts of Darkness by Kira Brady

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, request, fantasy, paranormal, mythology, romance, shifter
Read from June 07 to 10, 2012

Hearts of Darkness has to be the most unique book that I have read this year. It is definitely the furthest outside of my typical reading box/comfort zone. This story had so many different elements that I loved, the blend of mythologies and legends, the characters that I never knew which side they were fighting for, and then there is the setting. Kira has created a very dark Seattle that I never would want to visit. The crime is high, the political system is corrupt and beyond broken, anyone can be bought for a price, and the humans are completely blind to what they living among.

Kira has mixed Native American folklore, Babylonian mythology, paranormal elements of shifters and ghosts, a mild almost steampunk element with the technology and the characters attire, and then readers are still given the mystery of what happened to Kayla’s sister. The way that she has blended these elements makes for one incredible tale wrapped in a book that is impossible to put down.

I am still is shock over the ending of this book. At the beginning readers meet Kayla who has traveled to Seattle due to her sister’s untimely death. Kayla immediately finds out that multiple people are looking for a necklace that she had in her possession at the time of her death. To point out that as the pages turn there is so much more going on than a missing necklace would be a massive understatement. It took me a few chapters to really get into Hearts of Darkness. Once this book gets going it picks up speed and never slows down. The ending is amazing and I never saw it coming. It is not a cliffhanger, but an intensely shocking game changer.

The spine of this book lists it as paranormal romance. Hearts of Darkness feels more urban fantasy to me than it did paranormal romance. There is a couple and they do get a happily ever after, but the romance was minimal and seemed to be more of a side story in this book. I’m big on the pursuit with any romance. I never got that with Kayla and Hart. I think I got more invested in their roles in the overall story than I did in their romance.

The romance was my only disappointment and it is a mild disappointment. Kira’s story telling is phenomenal. The Seattle she has created is so very dark and gritty. I think this book should be a must read for anyone who enjoys paranormal or fantasy reads. It is so different from everything else out there. I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book. I’m so curious about the changes that were made with the ending of Hearts of Darkness. I want to know how these changes are going to affect the characters and the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts of Darkness.