Alyson's Reviews > This Rough Magic

Oct 02, 08

bookshelves: fiction, 2008
Recommended to Alyson by: Sofie
Read in October, 2008, read count: 2

Sofie introduced me to Mary Stewart, and I really enjoy her books. I read this one long, sleepless night a few years ago and loved it, and have been wanting to re-read it ever since. I couldn't find it—the cover had fallen off, and I'd placed it safely in a pile of books to repair, and then forgotten about the pile. So when I located the pile and the book, I fixed it up and dove right in.

I love Mary Stewart's settings, her careful description of location and geography that strikes just the right tone. She doesn't read like a tour book, like a GPS telling me to now turn right, now turn left, now glance across the bay; and yet somehow, after reading her, I feel like I'd know the places if I came across them. They're real to me, from the flowers to the paths to the roads.

And the people, all very real. The happenings are fantastic—it could hardly be a good mystery if it weren't at least a little impossible?—but written so carefully that I always tend to believe that yes, it could have happened just that way to me, too, if I'd been there instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Rough Magic.