Shirlyn Chin's Reviews > The Forbidden Game

The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith

Jun 07, 12

Like Dark Vision, this book is hauntingly beautiful.

This book cannot be more different than Dark Vision, but it still has the beauty that proves they are written under the same person.

First, I have always appreciated different personalities in one book, and this book provides me with many of them. Jenny-Tom and Audrey-Michael are such different couples, one is always obvious in showing their love, another is less obvious but no less true. In the Jenny-Tom situation, I like it that Tom is protective of Jenny and will watch over her silently. But the most important thing is, he finally lets Jenny free and understand that freedom can also be love. For Audrey and Mike, I find the two of them so hilarious. One neat like anything, the other a son of an author (so you can imagine how far from neat you can get).

I have no idea how many types of games L.J. Smith has to research to write this book. Seriously, I don't even know half of them. And the usage of the myth? Truly brilliant. I can appreciate it especially after watching Thor.

As for my favourite character, I have to say it's Julian. Ok, yes, you might think it's weird since he is literally darkness personify and all, but it is because he is exactly that that I like about him. He has no control over what he becomes, we never do too, but he battles all of what he is to save Jenny in the end. That part at the ending, where he gives Jenny the ring with the changed inscription in it (I am my own master), it moves me to tears. It is in those words that he shows he finally understand and marvel at the beauty of what is being human - that is our weaknesses. Because it is through them that we will fianlly grow and blossom. It is through them that you will know who are the people who truly loves you even though you have changed and may be surpassed them, because deep inside, you are still you.

P.S. This is soooo much better than the Hunger Games!!!!
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forbidden Game.

Inge Perfectly describes everything I love about this series! :D My favourite character would have to be Dee, but Julian is magnificent too! You just can't hate him.