Michelle's Reviews > Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn't Enough

Choose Joy by Kay  Warren

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: revell-blog-tour
Read from June 07 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

Kay Warren has written a wonderful book about how we can choose joy, even in the most difficult circumstances. The book is well written, and easy to relate to. I normally get rid of books once I've read them, but this one is going to stay on my shelf as reference; one that I'll go back to again, and again. Kay Warren's writing is so full of Biblical truth, wisdom, and insight, and definitely worth revisiting. On the inside flap of the book, it says, "Joy is deeper than happiness, lasts longer than excitement, and is more satisfying than pleasure and thrills. Joy is richer. Fuller. And it's far more accessible that you've thought. Joy comes from God . . . and it can be yours! Today."

The book is divided into four parts:
Part 1 -- Joy is My Inheritance: Embracing the Permission to be Joyful
Part 2 -- Joy is a Conviction of My Mind: Discovering a New Way of Thinking
Part 3-- Joy is the Condition of My Heart: Cultivating a Soul-Response That Allows Joy to Deepen
Part 4 -- Joy is a Choice of my Behavior: Ways to Choose Joy Daily

Each chapter opens with a scripture and a quote, and ends with a prayer, as well as points to help us reflect and apply.

There are so many great points throughout the book, but I will share a few here.
* "The only way to grow up spiritually - to become mature and well-developed in our faith - is to go through the fire of testing, trials, and troubles." (James 1:2-4)
* "In Jesus' role, he was a man of sorrow. But in his essence - who he was in his unchanging nature - he was a man of joy." We can be joyful, because Jesus has set the example for us. Even through hard times, we can choose joy.
* "Here is the foundational truth that each of us needs to remember: God is the only true source of joy." We can't find joy in the "dry wells" of people, places, possessions, position, and personalities.
* "Because God's will is good, we can embrace joy rather than fear."
* "Those who are joyful will thank God. Joy and gratitude always go together."

I highly recommend this book, and don't hesitate in suggesting that everyone should pick up a copy for themselves! This book does share a life-changing truth, and it's definitely worth the read.

"Available June 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

**Thank you to Revell for providing a copy to review, in exchange for my honest opinion.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choose Joy.

06/18/2012