Chalice's Reviews > The Giver

U 50x66
Nov 11, 2008

bookshelves: fantasy-science-fiction
Read in November, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I have found that this book really takes flight when Jonas decides that something needs to be done to change the community. I was surprised that The Giver was actually accepting of that idea because it goes on and on about how this practice of having a "safe community with the sameness" has gone on for sooo long.

I was compelely shocked when they described what a "release" meant. It made my stomach turn. I was hoping the entire time that that was not the case.

A part of the story that will always stay with me was how well Lois wrote the vivid description of one of Jonas' memories that the giver had passed onto him.(the war scene)
"The boy sighed. His head fell back, his lower jaw dropping as if he had been surprised by something. A dull blackness slid slowly across his eyes. He was silent" This was Jonas' first experience with the concept of death and I thought it was so descriptive of what Jonas saw in his head.

The most intense part for me was clearly at the end - as soon as he started racing out of the community I couldn't put the book down. Especially because I knew of his challenge with bringing Gabe.

I have talked to others about their interpretation of the ending and am looking forward to discussing it with my group on Thursday!!! :)

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

Kelly this book is awesome. the sequels -- so-so. I would love to teach this.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Gottlieb This is one of my all-time favorite books, too. It's haunting and really stays with you.

Mary I 100% agree with you both! I read this book for accelerated reader in elementary school. I choose it because it was worth a lot of points. I ended up loving it and was blown away by the story line. I might try and read the sequel.

Kate I know! I actually cried at the part where he killed the baby! Soooo sad. And the part where his parents explained that they didn't love him!