Libby's Reviews > Songs of the Earth

Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper

Jun 06, 2012

liked it

This was an entertaining read, although in places it shows that it is this author's first effort. I have read a couple of negative fan reviews, and I think they may be a little harsh. Some of the transitions here are a little clunky, but so was my Plymouth Valiant that I drove without fail for 13 years. This is a turn on the old trope of the young man searching to find himself and his place in the world. Viewed as such, this is a pretty decent effort. It is clearly meant as the lead-off hitter for a trilogy. Such books have drawbacks such as lacking a real feeling of closure, but they also have long, strong suits, like having room for steady paced development. I think readers will enjoy this most if they just relax and let the story happen. If you want the murder to occur on the first page, don't go here. I think this author hasn't begun to tell us all her secrets, and I am content to have it so. She has a very respectable start here, with a pseudo-Medieval world, an interesting form of magic, and a sweetly clueless hero. (I have always been able to hear magic in music and do not find it a cliche or unbelievable that it should be so.) Give this one its time in the sun. I think we'll find a worthy payoff when this author finds her stride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of the Earth.