Cheri's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Jun 06, 2012

bookshelves: checked-out-from-the-library, literature
Read from June 06 to 11, 2012

"It strikes me that this may be one of the differences between youth and age: when we are young, we invent different futures for ourselves; when we are old, we invent different pasts for others."
p88

"... if nostalgia means powerful recollection of strong emotions -- and a regret that such feelings are no longer present - then I plead guilty."
p 89

"Compared to him, I had always been a muddler, unable to learn much from the few lessons life provided me with. In my terms, I settled for the realities of life, and submitted to its necessities: if this, then that, and so the years passed on. In Adrian's terms, I gave up on life, gave up on examining it, took it as it came. And so, for the first time, I began to feel a more general remorse -- a feeling somewhere between self-pity and self-hatred -- about my whole life. All of it. I had lost the friends of my youth. I had lost the love of my wife. I had abandoned the ambitions I had entertained. I had wanted life not to bother me too much, and had succeeded -- and how pitiful that was."
p109

Insert quote from page 155 here . . .
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

06/06/2012 page 25
17.0% "If the first 11 pages ... 25 pages ... are any indication, I may have found a second-favorite author. Damn."
show 1 hidden update…