Emily May's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: dnf, classics, sci-fi, boring

Mr Foster duly told them.
Told them of the growing embryo on its bed of peritoneum. Made them taste the rich blood-surrogate on which it fed. Explained why it had to be stimulated with placentin and thyroxin. Told them of the corpus luteum extract. Showed them the jets through which at every twelfth metre from zero to 2040 it was automatically injected. Spoke of those gradually increasing doses of pituitary administered during the final ninety-six metres of their course. Described the artificial maternal circulation installed on every bottle at metres 112; showed them the reservoir of blood-surrogate, the centrifugal pump that kept the liquid moving over the placenta and drove it through the synthetic lung and waste-product filter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Oh, God, this book.

[image error]

Don't you just wish he hadn't skimped on the details?

message 2: by Clouds (new) - added it

Clouds It's on my long list.
I get the feeling it's one of those classics you just have to grit your teeth, endure, and hope it will seem worth it looking back...

Emilee Ahahahahah! The first part of the book was indeed completely boooring. I decided to quit as well :P

Neal LOL!!! Yeah, I struggled through the first part as well.

message 5: by Temi (new) - added it

Temi Abimbola Well I guess if you were or are a biology student, you'd find it less boring and more illustrative :) so i guess the book is not for everyone, but i'll still attempt to read it.

Emily May Yeah, I'm sure many people will love this book because of the fact that Huxley was obviously a clever man who knew his stuff. Unfortunately, it just went right over my head :/

Manaar Zaki I very much agree with you. This book sucks and the only reason I'm reading this is cause I have a test over it tomorrow

Emily May Oh, that sucks :( Good luck with your test!

Manaar Zaki Yup and thanks

Cristian Morales It's a great book, but I do admit to chapter 1 being a bit gratuitous. But you should've at least read a couple more chapters before declaring this book bad. The point of explaining the decanting of embryos is to set up a premiss of the destruction of families.

Emily May Huh? I read about two thirds of the book. I never leave a rating if I haven't made it through at least half of it.

Savannah Tygart Perhaps to some people this type of literature would indeed be considered boring. But why give it a measly one star simply due to your inability to easily process the wording and thus find entertainment in the novel? It's a shame that this book doesn't have the rating it deserves due to people getting "bored" and posting a silly tumblr gif as a review. Pity.

Emily May Oh, grow up.

Savannah Tygart Take your own advice.

Emily May My advice for you is to leave the internet because you can't cope in an arena of different opinions and interests.

message 16: by Tarun (new) - added it

Tarun But she was simply expressing her opinion.

Emily May No, she wasn't. She was insulting someone else because they'd spoken negatively about a book she liked.

message 18: by Esme (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esme Though I disagree about the book being boring, this is hilarious! :')

Emily May Haha, thanks :) Glad you enjoyed it more!

Tanya The book is great. And I cannot relate to the expression of Dean Winchester at your gif - he would definitely like the book ;)

Matthew Turner Haha! I gotta say, I struggled through major sections of this book (Chapter 3? WTF?) --- but I loved the lab sections! I'm a scientist so... each to their own :)

Victoria I hated this book so hard.

Violette I get your point, I snored my way through the beginning, but you should have continued reeding, it's worth it:)

message 24: by Emily May (last edited May 18, 2014 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily May Maybe someday :)

message 25: by June (new) - rated it 3 stars

June Seong you have to understand it inorder to feel it.

Emily May Which part didn't you understand?

message 27: by Patrick (new)

Patrick This is priceless xD

message 28: by June (new) - rated it 3 stars

June Seong Emily May wrote: "Which part didn't you understand?"

:D Hi Emily,
I was meaning, I do try to connect with the text therefore, the so called, "boring" parts are quite exhilerating for me.

Sincerley,
June

Nicole lol; I loved this book and it super hurts when other people don't connect the same way, but I totally get it. I feel like there are 'classic'(/neo-classic?) dystopian 'camps' like BNW, 1984, Handmaid's Tale, etc and people who super connect with one, tend not to be as keen on the others for whatever reason. It seems to be a trend anyway? Like I really did not at all care for The Handmaid's Tale (and have made my rants) while I looooved this book to bits, but I often find that people who love one dislike the other...and it's a 50/50 chance whether you'll like BNW *and* 1984 or choose a side? hah
Anyway, it does hurt my little BNW-fan soul, but I guess you just weren't feelin' it.....*sheds a tear for this sweet book* lol

Laura Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I did struggle with just about every chapter but, I appreciate the age of this book the way the people spoke was difficult to relate that & some of the words were British English while I'm use to American English. I kept a dictionary nearby too my vocab. isn't that strong but I wanted to stick it out & read this classic. For example describing female characters as pneumatic; still not sure what his meaning was they talked a lot, or casually describing they sexuality or something totally different.
I like to read the dystopias because well hasn't everyone had an idea of how they think world problems would be solved and could find world peace. Well an author is one who actually plans it all out and finds the pros & cons of there idea. Mostly, regular folks say a couple of sentences & sigh with displeasure knowing they won't actually do anything about it. Making the world a better place.
Anyhow, I thought his ideas were simple and explainable. Never having been to Iceland, I would have liked to go based on the book premise. However, I was totally peeved by the the end I was very disappointed with the fact that Mustafa didn't let John leave the with Bernard & Helmholtz or even just send him back to the Res. It just seemed like Aldous just wanted the story to end a particular way. I thought the story is plausible; and it might actually work. I'll take exile while some would be content with soma. The end though was just ridiculous. I just have more faith in humanity I guess. While John's view of the world was stunted due to lack of exposure to the BNW, his character earlier in the book seemed a bit more matured by experience, spiritual significant & hello survival. I liked the book up to the last chapter. I have yet to read the follow up book to BNW. I read something about how AH wished he changed the ending but, I don't know if I will take the time to search out the book. The upside of not liking the end was thinking about how I would have made different choices if I found myself confronted with a Brave New World.

message 31: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Marsbergen Fantastic book. Rereading it now and it's even better than the first time.

message 32: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I agree so much with your gif. I just have to skim that kind of stuff in the book, because it goes right over my head and makes my brain hurt anyways. It takes forever just to make it past chapter 1, because I just wanted to fall asleep during it. But after that I thought that it picks up pretty well. I do love your gif though. :)

Emily May Haha, thanks :)