Louise's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Aug 05, 12

bookshelves: western
Read from June 18 to 20, 2012

The Sisters Brothers exceeded my expectations. I was really dreading reading this for the Goodreads bookclub book because I usually hate westerns. Why do I hate them? Because it's so dirty! There's dust everywhere. Everyone has dry skin. And there's dirt everywhere. Luckily, this book alleviated my doubts thanks to the introduction of good oral hygiene. I kid you not.

The characters were enjoyable despite being mostly one-dimensional. The plot was entertaining and I honestly didn't really know where it would end up, which is a nice change of pace. I was kind of hoping (spoiler about a curse) (view spoiler) but it was not so.

There were some unexplained incidents and characters I'm still scratching my head over, but maybe I'll find the answers after I sleep on it.

Maybe it's the cover, but the book and dialog reminded me of older Lucas Arts games like Grim Fandango.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

06/18/2012
5.0% "Pretty entertaining so far. The dialog reminds me of a video game."
06/18/2012
28.0% "I like books that promote oral hygiene."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Greg Mathews I absolutely love westerns for the reason that you hate them! I want to be a cowboy and just run around on a horse and pan some gold!

Otis Chandler Haha. I could see you doing that.

Jenny You hate Westerns because they are 'dirty'??? You do know you don't actually have to go sit in a dust bowl to read one? ;-)