Bunny's Reviews > Momo

1519823
Oct 09, 08

bookshelves: read-in-08
Recommended to Bunny by: Meltha
Recommended for: People of any age who never have time for anything
Read in October, 2008

Recommended to me by Meltha, one of the smartest people I know, who has a great love for most of the things I love. How could I resist?

10/9 - Why? Why isn't this required reading in schools all over the damn place? Why haven't I heard of this? Why hasn't it been made into a movie like NES?

WHY?????

::ahem::

This book is WONDERFUL! And for the first time since I started keeping my nose in a book 14 hours a day (a girl's gotta sleep), people asked what I was reading, and I had so much fun telling them about the book and how they needed to read it.

It's so sweet, and just smart. Extremely clever, with lovely visuals that did NOT leave me skimming as some OTHER books of late have done. Just wonderful. Everyone needs to read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Momo.

Quotes Bunny Liked

Michael Ende
“...it's like this. Sometimes, when you've a very long street ahead of you, you think how terribly long it is and feel sure you'll never get it swept. And then you start to hurry. You work faster and faster and every time you look up there seems to be just as much left to sweep as before, and you try even harder, and you panic, and in the end you're out of breath and have to stop--and still the street stretches away in front of you. That's not the way to do it.

You must never think of the whole street at once, understand? You must only concentrate on the next step, the next breath, the next stroke of the broom, and the next, and the next. Nothing else.

That way you enjoy your work, which is important, because then you make a good job of it. And that's how it ought to be.

And all at once, before you know it, you find you've swept the whole street clean, bit by bit. what's more, you aren't out of breath. That's important, too... (28-29)”
Michael Ende, Momo
tags: zen

Michael Ende
“People never seemed to notice that, by saving time, they were losing something else. No one cared to admit that life was becoming ever poorer, bleaker and more monotonous. The ones who felt this most keenly were the children, because no one had time for them any more. But time is life itself, and life resides in the human heart. And the more people saved, the less they had.”
Michael Ende, Momo
tags: time

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claudia (new) - added it

Claudia Bergsdorf It has been made into a movie, though I am not certain it was ever screened in English speaking countries: here is a recent version, though I remember an older film which I first came across in the early nineties, it's quite hard to find though..

Pepe Córdoba escamilla There were made two movies in fact. One in the early eighties starring no other than John Huston as John Hora, even Michael Ende himself makes a cameo appearance. The other one, it's an italian animation movie which later turned into a tv series. I cannot recommend neither.

Bunny I need to get my hands on them promptly.