Cheryl's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Oct 04, 08

Recommended for: anyone who loves dogs and loves reading about the challenges that people face

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is a spellbinding tale of love and loss, and the ultimate search of finding oneself.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski is the most recent pick for Oprah's Book Club and it is a thoughtful literary masterpiece worthy of 5 stars. This is not your fast-paced thriller beach read; this is a novel you want to read carefully and allow to steep and absorb.

The characters are complexly drawn, three-dimensional and the story itself is highly emotional and inspiring. Edgar, the main protagonist is mute, yet his communication with his dog shows the astounding depths of the relationship between man and animal, and that language is much more than spoken words we hear.

The story had a strong emotional impact on me. Having recently lost my faithful dog of 13 years and later adding a new puppy to our household, it sure made me look at dogs differently. Although the story is fiction and the breed is fictional...well, who knows? Anything is possible, right?

I will admit the story is slow in parts, mainly because I think the author is striving to really paint a picture of the world he's created and the people who live in it. To me, the book's overall plot is a success and the reward for sticking through it all is satisfying. It's the kind of novel I personally prefer. One that makes me think while I'm reading it, and one that I think of long after I've put it down.

I don't expect it will be long before we see this novel made into a movie.

This novel was an honor to read.

~Cheryl Kaye Tardif, bestselling author of Whale Song
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd A great review, Cheryl. I'll look out for it at the library. I've borrowed so many book and taken them back hardly read. Laurel

Laurel Lamperd
Wind from Danyari – a family saga

Nora I'm currently reading and find it very good. After reading very negative reviews I've confirmed that we are all very different, indeed. Seems that people love or hate this one.