Sheila's Reviews > Cold Justice

Cold Justice by Kathi Oram Peterson

Jun 25, 12

Read in June, 2012

Cold Justice is the sequel to River Whispers and it picks up not too long after the first book ended. Regi and Sam are finally getting married, right after Sam's baptism in the LDS church. The big problem is that Sam is a no show for both his baptism and his wedding. Did he run out on his soon to be bride? The clues all point to something else and the adventure to Alaska begins. I found this fast paced mystery/suspense kept me reading, and not wanting a break. Though the reader knows some of the mystery, you don't know "who done it" and why. This is not revealed until the very end. I have to admit, I almost had it all figured out before then. That's half the fun of reading a mystery/suspense.

I liked the main characters of Regi and Samuel from reading River Whispers. It didn't take me long to remember them and their relationship. Though this story could stand alone, I recommend that you read River Whispers first. Having the history behind Regi's and Sam's relationship, will help you understand the motivations behind why both of them take the chances that they do to save each other.

The setting of the story was interesting, freezing Alaska during the Winter, featuring the fictional Raven Clan, a powerful Alaskan tribe and their customs. You could tell that Kathi did her research on Native people. I also enjoyed parts of the Native Alaskan myths that started each chapter.

Once again Kathi has written a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat,have you talking/screaming to the characters to not do something that you know will get them in trouble, appreciating a nice romance, and making you think about the power of God in your life. Cold Justice brings the wild Alaskan land and sea alive, quite vividly through Kathi's writing. The stories of supporting characters Wakanda, Trace and Tucker will also touch your heart. Cold Justice will be a cool read during these warm summer months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Justice.