Jessica B's Reviews > City of Ashes

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Mar 14, 2016

bookshelves: cassandra-clare, own, 2010, vampires, witchcraft, special-abilities, werewolves, demons, fairie-fey, in-my-email
Read from March 30 to April 05, 2010

So again my expectations I think, were way to high. I still find myself drifting sometimes as I'm reading and realizing about two pages later that I have no idea what I've just read. It's not even that I don't like the story line. The whole situation with Jace, Clary and Simon, I find very interesting. I don't know maybe it's just me and I'm in a bit of a reading slump.

I will say again that the author writes some parts in her books that really speak to me and that's why I keep on reading so that I can find more of her perfectly wriiten work it just seems that the perfect parts are buried among the crap so to speak.

The second book was certainly better then the first and I'm really hoping the third one is goign to blow me away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Ashes.

Quotes Jessica B Liked

Cassandra Clare
“You see, cuckoos are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests. When the egg hatches, the baby cuckoo pushes the other baby birds out of the nest. The poor parent birds work themselves to death trying to find enough food to feed the enormous cuckoo child who has murdered their babies and taken their places."
"Enormous?" said Jace. "Did you just call me fat?"
"It was an analogy."
"I am not fat.”

Cassandra Clare
“Mom. I have something to tell you. I’m undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I’m here to tell you that undead are just like you and me … well, okay. Possibly more like me than you.”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, I’m not kissing the mundane," said Jace. "I’d rather stay down here and rot."
"Forever?" said Simon. "Forever’s an awfully long time."
Jace raised his eyebrows. "I knew it," he said. "You want to kiss me, don’t you?”

03/31 page 52
11.48% 2 comments
03/14 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jen (last edited Apr 07, 2010 06:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen  (In the Closet With a Bibliophile) I'm curious about which parts of the writing you liked and which parts you don't. I did love this series, and City of Glass was my favorite, but I am always intrigued to see how other people think with books I loved. Plus, it gives me insight when I do my own writing. :P

Jessica B I found I loved the parts where the author was able to capture a feeling with words. Like near the end when Jace agreed to only be Clary's brother. The way Clary felt it was like I was feeling it right along with her.

Another thing I loved about this author were how some of her statements really hit home with me. like "Love makes us liars" That seemed so true and sort of gave me goose bumps when I read it.

I also really enjoy Valentine, I love when an author can write a character I love to hate.

As for the parts I didn't like it should seemed to be the filler she wrote. it seemed unecassary in parts and really slowed down my reading process.

I've started City of Glass, and I am about 200 pages in. Already enjoying this book so much more then the first two. I guess sometimes it just takes a new author a few books to work out all of the kinks in their writing.