Carla Perry's Reviews > What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Hear... by Thomas Frank

Jun 06, 2012

liked it
Read in September, 2011

This book made me more depressed. It shows how the Conservatives have gone backward – they fight to remove their safety laws, reduce taxes on the wealthy and corporations, destroy unions, and in the process, are causing their own pay to go down, civic services to disappear, towns to go bankrupt, stores to close. And yet they become hysterical and willing to use their every last penny to denounce anyone who is Pro-Choice. Abortion and homosexuality are the big issues. Destruction of our living standards isn’t on the radar. The farmers cast votes that will eventually force their families off the land. The big agri-businesses (wheat, for instance) are buying wheat for less than it costs to grow it and the farmers help this happen. They consistently vote against their own best interests. Anyone who doesn’t believe as they do is a “liberal” and the liberals want nothing more than to rule the world. Moderate Republicans are getting the shaft in Kansas (as in many other “red” states).

But Frank doesn't provide any guidance in what to do about this quagmire. He calls this movement (for it is very active) “the great Backlash” I had forgotten that Koch Industries is based in Wichita, Kansas. Why are they voting against their economic and social best interests? Where’s the outrage at corporate thievery? What I want to know is – what are we doing about it and what can we do about it?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America.

12/14/2016 marked as: read