Marni's Reviews > The Twelve

The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Jun 16, 12

Read from June 06 to 14, 2012

A worthy, suck-you-in, obsessive follow up to The Passage. For those frustrated by the lack of closure at the end of The P, don't worry- you reconnect right away and learn most of the fates of those characters you followed so willingly for 766 pages. Unfortunately for those same readers? Expect the same when you close this cover as well! For me, the best part (heck, that's tough for me to define because I didn't look up for 48 hours) was going back to year Zero and reconnecting with some minor characters and meeting some new, memorable, possibly doomed characters at the beginning. I found the flow pleasing, the character development wonderful, enough what-the-huh moments to keep me intrigued, and a degree of poignancy that made me really really really want to slow down in the last 100 pages. I won't be picking up a book for at least a few days so that I can keep thinking about some of the themes and characters. Comparisons to King's "The Stand"? You betcha, just as much as last time if not more so. Since I love that book, not a problem for me- more like visiting an old friend and reconnecting but finding some new developments. So bummed I've got at least 2 years before I can follow these people to the conclusion of their story...but happy I work in the book biz so I can be sure to receive an ARC for it like I did this time, 5 months early! I'm so excited for those of you who are patiently/impatiently waiting for this- its worth the wait, in my opinion. Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelve.

06/12/2012 page 19
3.0% ""Bernard Kittridge, known to the world as "Last Stand in Denver," realized it was time to leave the morning the power went out. He wondered what had taken so long. You couldn't keep a municipal electrical grid running without people to man it, and as far as Kittredge could tell from the 19th floor, not a single human soul was left alive in the city of Denver. Which was not to say he was alone." So far, so awesome!"
06/12/2012 page 50
9.0% ""Colorado was gone, basically. Colorado was kaput. The latest aerial intel looked like a war zone: cars crashed, buildings burning, bodies everywhere. During daylight hours nothing seemed to be moving except the birds, huge spiraling swarms of them, like the word had gone out from Vulture Central Command. Would someone please tell him whose idea it had been to kill the entire state of Colorado?""
06/12/2012 page 132
23.0% ""He was dying. That was inarguable, a fact of nature. So, too, was the fact that this other- this disposable nobody, this goddamn janitor, a man who had in his pathetic life brought nothing but misery to the world- was not. Somewhere in the body of LG lay the secret to ultimate freedom, and HG would find it, and take it for his own." No names- hate to be spoilery! Love the writing so far. Must keep going."
06/12/2012 page 191
33.0% ""She stepped away from the shelter. In the distance, she could see the tops of the cornstalks quivering where the men were working. She angled her face toward the tower's apex, positioning a hand over her eyes against the glare. A ghostly moon, daytime white, was hovering near the sun. Well, that was strange. She hadn't noticed that before.......they had 5 minutes left." Uh oh. That can't be good."
06/13/2012 page 290
50.0% ""Emily Dickinson: a boy of 8, he had found a book of her poems in the Kerrville Library, in a room nobody ever went to. Because it seemed no one had any use for it, and in a state of anthropomorphic sympathy for its loneliness on the shelf, he had tucked it into his coat & stolen off to an alleyway where, sitting on a can, he'd discovered a voice long gone from the earth that struck right to his most secret self.""
06/13/2012 page 405
70.0% ""She cocked her head & opened her jaws to give him a good long look at her teeth. Their eyes met. Really met. A bona fide, soul-searching gaze. The moment locked, and in that moment he felt his mind plunging into hers: its sensations & memories, thoughts & desires, the person she'd been & the pain of the terrible thing she'd become...a human being was still inside her, like a tiny flame in the dark. Don't look away.""
06/14/2012 page 551
96.0% ""He understood then, what force had led him here. He was looking for a sign. What form this sign would take, he could not say. It might come now, it might come later, it might not come at all. Such was the burden of his faith. He opened his mind and waited. An interval of time moved by. The night, the stars, the living world; all passed through him like a blessing. Then: Lucius. My friend. Hello.""
06/14/2012 page 562
98.0% ""Here I come." The end! Wow. Just, wow. I'm exhausted, exhilarated, and seriously depressed that I (we) have to wait 2+ years to see these characters again. Once again, very reminiscent of "The Stand"- not that that's a bad thing! Great progression and structure. Some really great "huh?" twists. A few tears at the end."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer Jealous you've already read this! Trying to wait patiently for it to come out! In the meantime I am reading "The Stand" to keep me busy as I wait! Loved "The Passage" and glad to hear its sequel is far from disappointing!

Marni It's very worth the wait, believe me! You won't be disappointed. Or, if you are, not my fault!