Alexis Winning's Reviews > Safari

6192649
Jun 06, 2012

bookshelves: zombies
Read from May 05 to 15, 2012

I missed Gus over the last few months, so I was very pleased to grab a copy of Mountain Man 2. Whereas the first book focused a lot on the everyday external life and survival in the zombapocalypse, the second part focuses on the internal aspects of daily life. Particularly with our friend Gus-it gets dark.

Keith Blackmore has an underlying humor to his writing style; mix this with zombies and a few other surprises, and we have the Mountain Man series. Someone mentioned that this was one of the best character studies in the genre (Hi Glinda!), and I think she nailed it on the head. My mantra is that a good zombie story is NEVER about zombies, and nothing could be more true for Mountain Man 2. Blackmore gives us an in depth look at Gus' mental and emotional downfall within the context of the zombie apocalypse(although sometimes amusing). There are some new twists, and questions from the first book are (mostly) answered in part 2.

Gus is such a likeable character, even though he's a grump. What makes him so likeable is that he is just an ordinary guy thrown into extraordinary circumstances. He is no superhero but he can take care of himself, regardless of his mental state. As with many books in this genre, we get to study human behaviour in the most terrifying of contexts.

I absolutely recommend the Mountain Man series!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safari.