David Caldwell's Reviews > Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Blood

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1 by Brian Azzarello

5082045
Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: won-it-on-goodreads-first-reads, graphic-novel, collection, superhero
Read from June 15 to 16, 2012

I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

This graphic novel is actually just a collection of Wonder Woman #1-6.There is nothing wrong with collections but they do fall into a bizarre group.They are not really collectible like the comics themselves.They don't offer new material either.So they are reading copies so you can keep your comics pristine,or help to catch you up if you missed those comics.The problem is the collection costs more than the individual comics (at least for now).Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad price for a hardcover.

This collection tells the latest re-start of Wonder Woman.It is more firmly rooted in the Greek mythos with appearances from several dieties from the pantheon.I know Zeus could change his form, but have never heard the other gods looked like anything besides human(in idealized forms usually).Therefoe I was a little confused with the choice of making most of the gods have some strange appearances.Hermes looks like a cross between a bird and a human.Ares looks like an old skinny man.Posideon looks like a giant sea-creature.Hades look like a kid with several candles on his head and melted wax covering most of his face.Strangely enough Zeus (the known shapechanger) looks the most human.

While Diana is facing her Greek mythos roots, she is also very rooted in the mortal world as well.She is protecting a young woman who is carrying the lastest child conceived by Zeus.Naturally Hera, the wife of Zeus, is not happy about it.To make matters worse,Zeus has gone missing.

Another factor of graphic novels is the artwork.I have always thought artwork in general is very subjective.One person will love it and another hate it.Having said that, I found the artwork in this collection to be good but not great.It is gory at times, but not excessively and fits with the story.

While I am a long-time comic book fan, I have never followed Wonder Woman that much.I can truthfully say that this newest version does appeal to me more than earlier versions.I will be more likely to pick up future issues of the comic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman, Vol. 1.