Steph's Reviews > Between You & Me

Between You & Me by Marisa Calin

Jun 06, 12

This was passed onto me because I run a teen book group (although we tend to read more adult books), and I'm also part of a LGBT teen outreach program. This book is stunning. The questions 'why a screenplay' and 'why YOU' are what make it so compelling and original. They are exactly the questions I will ask my group. I want to say that the screenplay style represents something of Phyre's self-consciousness and preoccupation with how people see her. And not identifying 'You's' sex suggests to me that the overall outcome of her questioning her sexuality is not what's important here. If 'You' was definitely a boy, I might have felt that the story was about a phase that she was able to put behind her to embrace normality, and if we knew it was a girl, then it's more of a coming out story. The ambiguity means that ultimately this feels like a story about finding true love, not a story about with whom. For the teens I talk to, these questions are what make this story so interesting to talk about. The book paints a very powerful picture of an unrequited crush which really resonates, and I think there's something here for everyone. I don't usually rate books because it's so limiting, but this is one I'd recommend to anyone, book groups in particular. Some great talking points. A beautiful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between You & Me.