Gloriana's Reviews > Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival

Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone by Dene Low

Jun 23, 2012

Recommended for: Middle to high school
Read from June 06 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I was originally attracted to this book for the sole stupid reason of its appearance. It is a little bitty hardback, about 10 inches tall, and it was dark brown with a mint green jacket. It looked like something made out of mint chocolate chip ice cream... Anyways, I picked it up, and it looked pretty interesting, so I bought it, not really knowing what to expect.
Despite the intimidatingly long title, this book really is a little gem. I went into it expecting something along the lines of Pride and Prejudice or Emma by Jane Austen, but it turned out to be much different. It is paced a little slow, so it took me a while to get through it, but it was engaging and interesting. The characters were lovely and the plot was intriguing.
If you want a tiny taste of a Jane Austen-type book without the length, this is a good candidate, even though the time period is a little later, and the plot is much different, you still get the feel of an Austen book. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone.

06/09/2012 page 47
06/16/2012 page 87
42.0% "This book is taking me a while to get through, simply because other things keep butting in, but it is pretty good. It's a bit like pride and prejudice, so I like that; it's the same sort of style, but will work for younger readers."