Jeremy's Reviews > The English Assassin

M 50x66
Nov 01, 2008

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

This is the second of the Gabriel Allon novels. I'd wondered, after reading The Kill Artist, when Silva really found his stride with the series. I got my answer after reading this book.

Gabriel gets caught up in a conspiracy of silence and greed dating back to World War II. It's much lower-key than the first book, with stakes that are certainly important to the characters (and the dangers to them are very real), but not on a global level, which I think helped to keep the story more believable for me. Silva also moved away from some of the elements of the first novel that annoyed me -- you will find no supermodel/master-spy with a decade-old unrequited love for Gabriel in this book, for instance. The pacing is excellent, with tidbits of history interspersed amid action and introspection.

Silva once again does his homework when reasearching the novel and offers some of the fruit of that research to the reader in his author's note, which is a nice added bonus.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better spy thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English Assassin.