Donna's Reviews > The Last Boyfriend

The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read from June 06 to 07, 2012

This book was one great lovefest, which brings to mind a little song I know:

"I love you, you love me
we're a happy family
with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
won't you say you love me too

I love you, you love me
we're best friends like friends should be
with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you
won't you say you love me too."

Sorry, I just had to defer to Barney, the Purple Dinosaur on that one.

Okay, so I liked all the characters, just like I did in the first book in the trilogy because, hey, they are all the same characters as before. They are all good people--what's not to like? And as for Owen and Avery, it was easy to see that they were made for each other. There really was no question of that, anymore than there was a question of them getting their happy ending, except for a few glitches that Ms. Roberts inserted to create some tension, which never really amounted to much. I guess she was too busy writing about decorating schemes.

But just when I breathed a sigh of relief as the inn was finally finished, thinking that maybe I will get to read a real story now, what does she do but throw in two more projects concerning a restaurant and a fitness center. This does not bode well for the final book in the series which will no doubt have endless details concerning those projects as well as solving the mystery of the ghost.

I gave this book three stars because of the sparkling characters and some bits of humor, saving it from the two stars it deserved. But it kind of angers me that the author wastes these engaging characters and any interesting story they might have told us about themselves in order to promote her own inn. I can only hope that in the future, she remembers that her characters should come first and her own interests last.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Boyfriend.