Jules's Reviews > Love Me

Jun 07, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: free-on-amazon, contemporary-romance, vulnerable-protagonist
Read on June 06, 2012

I'm having a difficult time enjoying this read. It feels too verbose in some sections. The narrative goes on an on in the love scenes about how this moment, that touch - is the ultimate culmination of feeling and love. I found myself skimming those sections because it just didn't ring as genuine for me. The reader doesn't go on that difficult journey of coming to terms with emotion, so it felt too manufactured.

It also doesn't have a natural build up of a relationship. It begins in the midst of things with Janica and Luke already in unrequited love - five years overdue. We don't get any vignettes or anecdotes of the little things they've done for each other, acts of kindness or petty fights. I would need to see those scenes for the romance to come off as sincere.

Janica knows what she wants and declares her feelings early. Luke is hesitant and messed up inside, but without explaining why. I found myself continually annoyed with Luke. I want him to communicate and get his act together. By the time he does, I'm too annoyed to care anymore.

I won't reread this one. An annoyed or emotional response in a reader is a good thing, but too many of my responses were negative to call this book a favorite.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Me.