Jann Barber's Reviews > Dead Man's Chest

Dead Man's Chest by Kerry Greenwood

Jun 11, 12

Read on June 03, 2012 — I own a copy

As I've said before, I would love to be Phryne. Barring that, I would love to be her best friend and fellow sleuth.

This is the 18th entry in the series and picks up where "Murder on a Midsummer Night" left off. Phryne had indicated the need for a vacation, so she leaves Mr. and Mrs. Butler at the house and takes Dot, Jane, Ruth, and Molly (the dog) to a house at Queenscliff (offered to her by a character from said previous book).

Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, the live-in couple at the house, were nowhere to be found. Their belongings had disappeared, yet their beloved dog turned up covered in smelly garbage.

Phryne enlists the aid of a boy who immediately becomes an adoring fan, and he may appear in future books in the series. The house on one side is occupied by a rather hysterical women and three surly troublemaking young louts, while on the other side, a group of surrealists provide interesting moments. The phantom snipper (who cuts off braids from unsuspecting young women) is at work, and a trio of filmmakers revives interest in buried treasure.

Greenwood held my attention yet again. I wouldn't use the word "frothy" to describe these books, but they are fun to read and she often tosses in a vocabulary word with which I am unfamiliar. I like that.

I will continue to read this series and have a lot of catching up to do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man's Chest.