Summer Lane's Reviews > Gifted

Gifted by Liz Long

Jun 06, 12

Read in June, 2012

Lucy is a firestarter. What does that mean? It means that she can control fire and manipulate it to do her bidding...whatever that might be. After her parents die, she joins the Donovan Circus, an organization that is full of talented individuals called the 'Gifted.' They're basically people with superpowers who make a living as circus freaks. Mind readers, runners, earthshakers, you got it. But when people start showing up charbroiled to a crisp (AKA dead), all fingers point to Lucy, the newcomer and the girl with the dangerous abilities. As it turns out, there is more to the killings than meets the eye. There's also a bit of a romantic triangle going on at the same time. All in all, DRAMA!

I received this book from the author, Liz Long, and I was super excited about it because it is a NEW ADULT read, which by now, you all know is a terribly underrated category of books. The main characters are college-aged, and they can do things that characters in YA can't - like join the circus without parental permission. I have always been fascinated by books about circuses, maybe because I have never been to a circus and I have some funny fantasy about being a tightrope walker in my spare time. So yeah. I really enjoyed this book. There were all the characters that I love: the buoyant best friend, the hardcore third bestie who, while a bit stereotypical, was kickbutt and super funny. And here is a bit of personal opinion on the main squeeze of the love triangle, Gabriel: he was handsome, yeah, but so frustrating!!! I would have tossed him overboard like a dead trout if I had been Lucy...but it made for some good drama in the book. In summary? A bit too much "feelings" talk throughout the book but I couldn't put this book down!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gifted.