Anna's Herding Cats!'s Reviews > North of Need

North of Need by Laura Kaye

Originally posted at Herding Cats & Burning Soup

North of Need is the first book in Laura Kaye's Hearts of the Anemoi series and I absolutely adored it. It's a fun, charming read with a very sweet romance. The main characters, Megan and Owen, have been through tremendous losses during their lives and ohmigod will your heart ache for them. This could have easily been a very dark and depressing tale but Kaye added so many light hearted, joyful moments as these two start to heal and really live life that they balanced out the tears and heartache perfectly. There's no violence, grit or real suspense involved but Kaye did manage to get my adrenalin surging a couple times and had me antsy and sitting on the edge of my seat there at the end going nonononoOMG(ha)no!! The writing flows smoothly, the relationship is believable and entertaining plus you get to learn how to make an igloo. Pretty damn kick-ass.

I loved Owen and Megan as a couple. They're sweet and playful together. The sex scenes were steaming hot and so emotionally charged. The relationship does move quickly but is written so well it seems like they've known each other forever. It's been a long time since I've met a hero as sweet and endearing as Owen. He's incredibly charming and has an enthusiasm for life that is cute as all get out and will totally win you over. I kept finding myself smiling from ear to ear over him and his love for junk food, ice cream, playing in the snow. There's an almost childlike innocence about him that's just too damn cute. And Megan? Megan just about broke my heart as she struggled to survive the grief of losing her husband and the guilt of being happy and enjoying another man. Her inner turmoil and struggle was very nicely written and it was so moving to see her living life again. I loved getting to see her smile and joke, play around and just have a good time with Owen.
“What?"
Her breathing stuttered at the thought of tasting the sweet cream off his skin. "Nothing."
"No, tell me." He stepped closer.
She shook her head. "Why mint and peach?"
He quirked a crooked smile. "Mint for fresh breath, peach because it's breakfast. You know, fruit."
"I don't think peach ice cream counts as fruit."
"What's that right there?" He pointed to the hunks of frozen orange buried in the mounds of ice cream overflowing his bowl.
"Peach, but--"

I mean, really, how could you not love him?!! North of Need is one of my favorite reads so far this year. Owen and Megan are characters that will stick with you long after you've finished reading their journey and are easily ones you'll want to visit over and over again. Book two of the series, West of Want, just came out this week and I'm very much looking forward to finding out about Zephyros who sounds like he's a bit of a badass and a little edgier than Owen. Can't wait for my copy to get here!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North of Need.

Quotes Anna's Herding Cats! Liked

Laura Kaye
“Instead of an ugly scratch of a scar, he'd given her a beautiful piece of himself. A snowflake. Small and discreet, noticeable if you knew to look, but otherwise really just for her. A gift.”

“Hey, Megan?"

She peeked one lid open. "Hmm?"

"Can we have ice cream for breakfast?"

Her mouth curved into a grin. She couldn't think of anyone, save maybe Kate, who could draw a smile from her so quickly. But he was just unexpectedly adorable. "Maybe. If you're a good boy." She cringed. Why the hell did she say that? Was she...flirting with him? Restraining a grimace, she chanced a look at him.

His dark gaze shifted from playful to scorching. "And what would that entail?"

Heat shot through her body, and unfamiliar desire pooled in her belly. Flustered, she kicked off the top cover. "Not asking questions like that, to start. Now go back to sleep. It's too damn early to be awake."

She heaved a deep breath to calm her racing heart .

"if you say so." Even with his eyes closed, a smile continued to play around his lips.”

Laura Kaye
“Is this a dream?" The words spilled from her mouth.

Owen's grip on her hand tightened, that lone dark eye trapped her with its serious intensity. "Waking up across from you is the stuff of which dreams are made. But, no.”

Laura Kaye
“Megan almost pouted at the reappearance of the black T-shirt covering his body, but a chuckle bubbled out at the sight of two bowls, two spoons, and four half gallons of ice cream lined up on the kitchen counter. "What do you want for breakfast?" she deadpanned.

His brow furrowed. He looked from her to the ice cream and back. "I thought..."

She patted his arm. All solid muscle. "Just teasing. Dig in.”

“What?"

"No, tell me." He stepped closer.

She shook her head. "Why mint and peach?"

"I don't think peach ice cream counts as fruit."

"Peach, but--"

"Nuh uh. No but. It's peach. Case closed." He lifted the bowl and took a big bite.”

Laura Kaye
“Good with languages," she murmured. With everything she learned about him, he got more and more interesting. Or more mysterious, depending on how you looked at it. "So, good with languages, shovels, and igloos. Anything else?"

The smug look he tossed at her was so wicked it shivered right down her spine. Walked right into that, hadn't she. She shook her head and, looking away to hide her blush, moved her cardboard forward one spot. Without a doubt, he would be good at...other stuff. Jesus.”

Laura Kaye
“And now I'm here for you, Megan. I am enchanted, as surely as if you were the goddess and I the mortal."

-Owen”

Laura Kaye
“Clothes. Too many clothes."

"Mmm. Couldn't agree more." Fingers threaded under her panties at both hips and pulled them off.

Megan gasped, drew her legs up and closed out of surprise. She pointed, pretending outrage. "You! Not me, you!"

His self-satisfied smirk told her he'd known just what she'd meant.

-Owen and Megan”

Laura Kaye
“Here, let me help." Owen grabbed a slice of toast with butter and jelly and held it up to her mouth.

She took a big bite. She looked up and found his eyes blazing, that odd light flickering faintly behind the blue and brown. "What could possibly be turning you on about this situation?”