Britney's Reviews > Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Jun 07, 12

Read from June 06 to 07, 2012

Wow, great debut here! I love it when authors take a different approach to common mythical creatures, and Brown has done that with LIES BENEATH. The mermaid myth, in my opinion, is wrought with smilie, happy, warm, sweet mermaids. Thank you Disney. Don't get me wrong, I loved THE LITTLE MERMAID, but there's something about taking that sweet enticing smile, and hiding a vicious, murderous creature beneath it that just does it for me.

I was not sure what to expect going into LIES BENEATH, simply because I haven't read very many mer-stories; but the first line had me hooked. “I hadn’t killed anyone all winter, and I have to say I felt pretty good about that.” I mean, how can you resit a book that starts like that?! Calder was a very interesting character. His battle with his nature, his sisters, and his own emotions was intense, and I loved the way that he came to realizations about himself and how he actually felt so suddenly. It made it very real. I often felt like I was making the split second realization with him. I didn't know what he was actually going to do, and I really enjoy it when characters can keep me guessing.

There were a couple of aspects of Brown's world that confused me, and I think could have been a little better developed; however, I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to enjoy a different aspect of a previously uncommon myth.

*E-galley provided by Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.