Jessica Bronder's Reviews > Dead of Night

Dead of Night by Jonathan Maberry

Jun 06, 12

The story starts at Hartnup’s Transition Estate, the local funeral home. The body of recently executed murderer Homer Gibbons has just arrived. A last minute change of plans has Homer coming to his aunt instead of the usual prison grave. But Homer is not really dead, and he is very hungry.

Dez, Desdemona Fox, and her partner JT Hammond are called out to check out the funeral home. When they get there, they find the mortician and the housekeeper chewed on and dead and an empty body bag. When backup arrives, that’s when everything goes bonkers when the mortician and housekeeper start snacking on the local police.

At the same time, reporter Billy Trout has hear about the mysterious aunt that wants Homer Gibbons buried with family. There he stumbles upon Dr. Herman Volker. He used to experiment on people during the war. He was sent to the states, under supervision, to keep versions of those experiments going. When he stumbled upon Homer Gibbons crimes, he felt he must act. He injects Homer with Lucifer 113, a concoction that will keep him alive as he rots in his grave at the prison. Unfortunately, with Homer being moved elsewhere, Lucifer 113 has broke out.

Now Dez, JT, and Trout are trying their best to stop the spread of Lucifer 113. But when the government steps up, help is the furthest thing going to be offered.

I loved this story. It has elements of possibilities that could come true. There is a great concept for the zombies and I loved the interaction with the government. If you are a zombie lover, you will want to read this book. I’m sad to admit that it was the first Jonathan Maberry story but I’m sure to hunt down his other books and catch up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead of Night.