~ Becs ~'s Reviews > Defying the Odds

Defying the Odds by Kele Moon

In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.
~Maya Angelou

Aw, this one was just adorable.

It’s a beautiful story of how a simple act of kindness can bring two broken souls together.

Clay, a UFC champion fighter and lonely soul with abandonment issues, is sitting in a diner on Thanksgiving. The new waitress spots him looking lonely and buys him a piece of pumpkin pie even though she can ill afford to. She is Melody and she has ran from her abusive ex husband with just the clothes on her back and holed up in Clay’s town to hide away. She’s totally skint and is working endless double shifts to pay her way.

Clay is deeply touched by her gesture – very few people have given him something and expected nothing in return. He doesn’t even like pumpkin pie but he tries to hide this from Mel.

What follows is a beautiful and very erotic love story. The chemistry between them is so potent it fair sizzles off the page. I loved Melody – she’s as sweet as the pie she bought Clay and, despite her history of abuse, her naturally sunny nature just radiates through. Clay is a revelation – he may be a lean mean fighting machine but he’s capable of great tenderness and understanding with Mel .

It’s just a short sweet love story – perfect for a rainy afternoon.

4 stars contemporary romance
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defying the Odds.

Quotes ~ Becs ~ Liked

Kele Moon
“Let's get outta here. Or I'm gonna put my mouth on you right here. I’ve been fantasizing ‘bout tasting you since Thanksgiving.” ~ Clay”
tags: clay

“Mel.”

“Hmm?”

“Don’t leave me again, okay?” Clay whispered in a voice choked with emotion as he pulled her tighter against him and tilted his head to rest his cheek on top of her head. “’Cause that ’bout killed me.”

Kele Moon
“Yes,” he assured her without hesitation. “I thought I was broken too, that I’d never trust women, but I had it all wrong. I wasn’t broken at all. I was just waiting for you. It’s always been yours; even before we met, it belonged to you.”

Kele Moon
“How’d this happen?” Melody asked in a stunned whisper. She never expected to fall in love and certainly not this swiftly or with this much finality. “We just met.”

“I don’t believe that,” Clay argued as he turned her palm over in his and traced the lines of it with the pad of his finger. “I’m pretty sure we’ve known each other forever. Seeing you the first time was like coming home, and there ain’t been anything to happen since that’s disabused me of the notion.”

“Yeah,” Melody agreed, the bright skyline blurring to a sea of vibrant color. She remembered seeing Clay in Hal’s Diner the first time. Alone and eating his turkey, she’d been compelled to reach out to him. “Do you really believe in soul mates?”

“I do now.”

06/08/2012
39.0% "Just adorable" 4 comments

message 1: by Jae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jae two words for you: shower shag.
Hotness!!

~ Becs ~ LOL - can't wait to get started on this one.

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Great review, Becs! So glad you liked this one.
Clay is such a sweetie... *sigh*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lovely review, Becs! It's still on the Mountain...

~ Becs ~ Thanks Baba - you will enjoy this one, I think. It's just luffly!

message 6: by Glamdring (new) - added it

Glamdring Beautiful review, Becs :-)

~ Becs ~ Thanks Glamdring x

message 8: by carol (new) - added it

carol Don't think Kele has written a bad one yet. Daughter do you do anything but read?

~ Becs ~ LOL Momma. Normally work intervenes but last week I spent laid up when I put my back out so I read constantly!

Every cloud........

message 10: by carol (new) - added it

carol Becs wrote: "LOL Momma. Normally work intervenes but last week I spent laid up when I put my back out so I read constantly!

Every cloud........"

You are taking after your Momma more than you know daughter...I've had a bad back for years it's a family weakness....probably the strain of holding things up at eye level ;-)

~ Becs ~ LOL - indeed!!

KatLynne Lovely review Becs and loved MA quote!

~ Becs ~ Thanks KatLynne x