Karen's Reviews > In the Woods

In the Woods by Tana French

Jun 15, 12

Read from June 10 to 14, 2012

I"ve had Tana French on my to-read list for some years and finally got to her. I wish I had not waited so long. This is one of the most intriguing psychological thrillers out there. She has a real gift for taking us into the minds of her characters. Adam Ryan and his two childhood friends, Jamie and Peter, live an almost idyllic childhood in rural Ireland. The Knocknaree woods is their playground and they are in complete control of it until one horrible day when they are twelve years old, Jamie and Peter disappear. Adam is found clinging to a tree with someone else's blood pooled in his shoes and scratches on his back. He is so terrified that he has no memory of the first twelve years of his life, much less what happened in the woods.

Years later, Rob Ryan is a police detective called to the scene of a murder in the same woods. No one except his partner, Cassie, knows he is really Adam Ryan. The investigation takes him back to his old neighborhood and begins to unlock some of those childhood doors. A young girl, Katy Devlin, twelve years old, has been murdered and there seem to be no leads, or rather, maybe too many leads. Also at risk is the relationship between Rob and Cassie, which is that unusual platonic closeness of a man and woman. As they work through the case and Rob works through his demons (Cassie has a few of her own, too) the woods becomes the symbol of all of our ghosts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.