Tracie Banister's Reviews > Showbiz, A Novel

Showbiz, A Novel by Ruby Preston

Jun 06, 12

I am a huge fan of musical theater and have attended countless touring productions and Broadway shows over the last 15 years. Although I was well-versed on what was happening on stage (the actors, the music, the storylines), I never had a clue what was going on behind-the-scenes. Imagine my excitement when I heard about this new novel called "Showbiz" in which an up-and-coming Broadway producer tells all about the theater world with the help of some fictional stand-ins!

Scarlett Savoy is the very likable protagonist of Showbiz. She's done her time in the Broadway trenches, working for an über-successful producer named Margolies (a colossal jerk who sleeps with a string of actresses and abuses everyone he associates with, including poor Scarlett who can't wait to fly the coop and spearhead her own production.) She just might get her chance when a new musical she's working on with some talented friends (the two Jeremys, who are a hoot!) gets a shot at the big time. But will Scarlett be able to make her dream a reality while keeping her integrity intact? It's not easy when she encounters corruption, betrayal, spite, and handsy colleagues at every turn.

Showbiz was a fun, juicy read all the way through! The author, Ruby Preston, is a very engaging storyteller, and she does a great job with her characterizations of not only Scarlett, but the supporting cast in the book, as well. Boozy, secret-hiding newspaper editor Candace Gold, the tyrannical Margulies, intrepid gossip columnist (and potential love interest) Reilly Mitchell, warring pop stars turned Broadway leads Cupid and Psyche - these were all incredibly well-drawn and interesting characters who really enhanced the narrative, and the author brings them all together in a very action-packed and exciting denouement to the story.

I look forward to reading more about Scarlett Savoy's travails as a neophyte producer and getting further backstage tidbits from Ms. Preston. Roll on, book two!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Showbiz, A Novel.