Laurel's Reviews > The Fence My Father Built

The Fence My Father Built by Linda S. Clare

Jun 06, 12

Read in June, 2012

An interesting story line - neighboring property owners fighting over land and water rights, combined with a daughter's struggle to learn more about her father. The fight for water & land reminded me a tiny bit of Erin Brockovich, but all in all this story fell a little flat. I would have preferred more meat, more substance. More insight into the relationship between Muri & Rubin, especially at the end of the book. I'm not too much of a fan of open endings, which is how their relationship and the book end. I realize this is technically Christian fiction, but I kept waiting for Linc to do something even more evil and dastardly. We knew he was a bad guy, but I guess I've read too many non-Christian books - I kept waiting for more acts of violence or sabotage. I appreciated Muri's experiences in finding her faith, but I would have liked to have learned more about how her father managed to reconcile his Native American heritage with his newer-found Christian faith. When Muri's daughter, Nova, ran away, it added an interesting twist to the story in that it led to more interaction between Muri and Rubin, and Muri and Linc, as well as more interaction with Denny the archaeologist, but it at times felt like it was an act of convenience on the author's part. Almost like she needed to get Nova out of the way. All in all, a decent story - just could have used more meat on its bones.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fence My Father Built.