Sally's Reviews > The Secret Hour

The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 06, 12

That's a generous 3 stars, rounded up from 2.5.

Here's the thing:

This book was fortunate that it reminded me of a beloved episode of "Eerie, Indiana" that I enjoyed as a kid ("The Lost Hour," about daylight savings = awesome).

This book was less fortunate that it reminded me the Uglies series, also written by Mr. Westerfield. (Flying with Jonathan = hoverboarding. And I super-hate hoverboarding.)

This book was fortunate that I had a 12th grade A.P. Literature teacher that made me rip apart Joyce Carol Oates' "Where Are You Going? Where Have You Been?" which predisposed me to enjoy numerology in fiction.

This book was less fortunate that it had a DEEPLY forgettable protagonist, whose first name I remember only because it's the same name as Zooey Deschanel's character on Fox's "New Girl," and because it's just so glaring and obnoxious to make a "midnighter's" last name "Day."

This book was fortunate that I had several days off and "pulled an Uglies," by which I mean, I read the whole trilogy even though it was ABSURD. The extra backstory rebutted a few of my naggy questions, like about how so many "midnighters" wound up in the same tiny town, but the end of the series was actually worse than the end of the first book, so.

Premise was cool, book was eh. Liked Dess, didn't care about anyone else. 2.5.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Hour.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cynthisa Pulled an 'Uglies.'" LOL! Know what you mean!