Guilty Pleasures's Reviews > About Last Night

bookshelves: guiltypleasures-slick, publishersent
Read in June, 2012

Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars

Ruthie Knox is a new to me author, but I read the synopsis of this book and thought it sounded good so I asked to review it. I absolutely LOVE when I find a new author whose words make me want to jump inside the book and have a part in the story. I immediately felt a connection to the characters in this book; this is one you definitely want to add to your TBR list!

Our two main characters could not be more different. Neville (aka Nev or City) was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His family is upper crust. He’s British, very well educated, has a fairly high position in his family’s bank, and he’s blatantly sexy. He’s also a wannabe artist who decided a while back to move out of the family home so he can explore his other side. He just hasn’t gotten very far.

Mary Catherine (whom everyone but Nev calls Cath) is from an organized crime family in Chicago. She has made mistakes in her life, some pretty damn big ones. Mistakes that she has tattooed on her body so she doesn’t forget them. But, she’s also a knitting expert, works in a museum, and is very well versed in art. Cath is VERY observant and pretty outspoken.

Cath has noticed City when she runs in the park and sometimes at the train station. She didn’t realize that he’d noticed her as well. One night after a pretty awful blind date and somewhat too much to drink, they meet at the train station where Nev ends up helping her. From their first conversation, I was a goner for Nev. He just exudes confidence, sex, and consideration. Cath was a little harder to get a read on, she’s so closed off but Nev did a good job of peeling away her layers which allowed us to know and understand her so much better.

This book is kind of a reverse courtship, these two get together pretty quickly in the book and they are combustible. So hot that you’ll want to make sure your partner or BOB is close by! Cath is stubborn and insists they aren’t dating, but they do spend a lot of time together. When Nev’s family puts some outrageous pressure on him to be promoted he devises a plan and gets Cath to go along with him knowing that his family will not like her at all. The plan doesn’t quite go as smoothly as Nev had hoped and Cath winds up bolting. Nev makes a pretty big gesture to make her understand how he feels and they do end up working towards their happily ever after.

This is a very good book and I enjoyed it immensely. It is one you won’t want to put down so don’t start it late at night, you’ll be sorry...I was! Ruthie Knox is a very talented writer who draws you in immediately. You’ll feel connected to the characters, worry about their plight, and then sigh when you know all is well. I hope you’ll get as much pleasure from reading this book as I did!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read About Last Night.