Vshadow 's Reviews > A Pale View of Hills

A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro

Jun 06, 12

Read on June 06, 2012

A somewhat disturbing book, though compelling. I feel it ended a chapter too soon, the kind of story and the kind of ending which will leave me wondering for days.

There are very few characters I feel positively for, and by the end of the book, I'm not sure the narrator can still be counted as one of them.

This actually evoked quite an emotional response in me, whether it's the war, the slight element of potential supernatural occurrences, or such a detestable mother-figure (with a huge disregard for anyone or anything besides herself) I'm not sure. I'm inclined to believe its the character of Sachiko, since even thinking about meeting a woman like that makes me feel angry.

It might also be that this book gave me a sense of the futility of women in past societies and how things should have been different for women, and even for fathers, since the society depicted in the novel is strongly patriarchal - once the son is an adult, it seems he has overall say in the family.

Then again, from studying Japanese society I know that that was how it was in the not too distant past.

A short book which leaves you with a lot to think about. Perhaps not the best thing when you're trying to shut your brain off at 3am!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pale View of Hills.

06/06/2012 page 190