Sueij's Reviews > Throne of the Crescent Moon

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

1951999
Oct 07, 13

Read in October, 2013

I read this largely because Patrick Rothfuss gave it a 5-star review, and I have liked his assessments enough to know that I would find a quality book here.

In that, I was definitely not disappointed. It's a fascinating new fantasy world based on Middle Eastern culture and values (rather than the typical European dragons and wizards). The storyline conflict/ problem to be solved was a good one, and the challenges along the way were interesting. Actually, the best thing I can say about it is that it is a great action story... the way action movies are good at, well, action.

The storytelling itself had just a few little things that appeal to my character-loving self a touch less. The deliberately wordy character was sometimes a bit long to read. The young-people-love/not-love thing was a it heavy handed. There were times when I thought there was a little too much telling that could have done better with showing. But it's a debut novel, and it was really, really well done. I am quite sure that my husband (now) and my son (in a couple of years when he is up to this reading level) are going to love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of the Crescent Moon.

10/07/2013 marked as: read