Rose Ann's Reviews > The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen

The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen by Susin Nielsen

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, young-adult, ebooks, read-in-2012, middle-grade, favorites
Read from June 12 to July 07, 2012

So much to say about this book!
Will write it all up in the next day or two.

A day or two has come and gone. I have not stopped thinking about this book, and how I wanted to put into words how much I loved it.

Honestly, in my own ignorance, I have never really thought much about the families of the shooter, when I hear of these things on the news. I have felt for the shooter in some cases, but never really thought about their families. Always the victims' families. But they are victims also, aren't they?

I just loved the writing, the characters, the story....all of it.

Henry K. Larsen.....what a brave, strong character. Love him!

I am sure I will add more, I just can't figure out how to put it all into words.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Journal of Henry K. Larsen.

06/12/2012 page 28
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meaghan I have often thought about the families of people who committed serious crimes, and feel very sorry for them. In some ways the parents, wives etc. of murderers have it worse than the families of the murder victims, because murder victims' families get sympathy and support but murderers' families do not.

Rose Ann Meaghan wrote: "I have often thought about the families of people who committed serious crimes, and feel very sorry for them. In some ways the parents, wives etc. of murderers have it worse than the families of th..."

So true Meaghan.

Meaghan It was actually on my mind today before I saw your review. I was reading this advice column and this one woman wrote in saying that her son was a pedophile who'd molested his own daughter and was in prison, and she was torn, because she recognized he'd committed a terrible crime and she was horrified, but she still loved him and visited him in prison. She said every other person in the family had disowned him except her, and her refusal to do that was causing conflict. Her husband wouldn't let her visit their son more often than every few months; he threatened to divorce her if she went more often.

I felt deeply sorry for the woman and I could understand her conflicting feelings. I probably would have felt the same way if I was in her place. The advice columnist told her to seek out a therapist who was experienced in dealing with sex abuse problems.