Heidi's Reviews > The FitzOsbornes At War

The FitzOsbornes At War by Michelle Cooper

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: by-nwp, fiction, fiction-australian, aus-women-list, fiction-historical, fiction-young-adult, aus-women-2012, 50books-poc-2012
Read from June 06 to July 01, 2012

** spoiler alert ** When I finished this book, I hugged it because I couldn't hug the characters themselves. And then five days later, when the news came through that the Australian Girl Guides were changing the wording of the promise, I wondered what Henry would think of it.

Dear, dear Henry. And Sophie! And Veronica! And Julia!

This whole series has been brilliant.

I mean, okay. This book is totally in my area of love, and the characters are so brilliant, and I have to say, if they'd just sent Henry to the Chalet School as they should have done, she'd still be alive because they'd never have allowed her to join the WRENS at that point. I almost want to try that out, in fact. (But that'd be admitting to writing fic, wouldn't it?)

I gave my mother "A Brief History of Montmary" a week ago, and she's now demanding the next two books. Which is at it ought to be.

I adored "FitzOsbournes at War", I mean, I really adored it. Part of it is that when I look at the list of references I've read most of them, and other parts of it is that I know this era quite well. And yet it's also that Cooper brought us along, even thought I knew someone was going to die, but made me cry when it was Harry. Made me get to the end of the book and hug the book, because I couldn't hug the characters. Made me adore these people, made me want them to get back their fictitious island, made me hate the Nazi use of Spain even more than I already did, made me want victory for Montmaray while knowing that it didn't even exist.

It was awesome. It needs to be read. I will re-read, over and over again. And I will probably even write fic. No finer accolade exists. Michelle Cooper, you are awesome.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The FitzOsbornes At War.

06/06/2012 page 35
6.0% "My Kobo ran out of battery, which was the perfect opp. to start this book."
show 2 hidden updates…