Sarah's Reviews > Along Came a Duke

Along Came a Duke by Elizabeth Boyle

F_50x66
Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: got-bored, meh

I discovered Elizabeth Boyle while laid up in the hospital after surgery and tore through several of her books in a few days. Now out of the hospital with other things to do, I can't figure out why I liked her so much.

This book is SO heavy handed. I know. I know what you're saying. It's a romance. It's SUPPOSED to be heavy handed. But no. This book is so ridiculously full of the author, who thinks she is SO clever. I guess if you're an author this is to be expected...but in this case, it gets out of hand. There are several scenes that start out amusing and end up excruciating because it seems as though the author is saying, "see here? see how funny I am?"

Oh, and it's worth saying that Tessa Dare (who is awesome) is writing this EXACT SAME concept (a town full of spinsters), and to much better effect.

Two stars, though I honestly can't say why I'm giving that extra one. I must be in a giving mood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along Came a Duke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Pezzotti I just started this book - but I think all of her other books have been great. Maybe this one just wasn't for you - although I have to admit many of my favorite authors have been pumping out so-so books lately.