Feather Stolzenbach's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Feb 12, 07

Read in January, 2005

I love this book - very enchanting and captivating.

From the Publisher
Deeply affecting, The Red Tent combines rich storytelling with a valuable contribution in modern fiction: a new perspective of female life in biblical society. It is a vast and stirring work described as what the Bible might have been had it been written by God's daughters instead of sons.
Far beyond the traditional women-of-the-Bible sagas in both impact and vigor, The Red Tent is based upon a mention in Genesis of Jacob's only female offspring--his daughter, Dinah.
Author Anita Diamant, in the voice of Dinah, gives an insider's look at the details of women's lives in biblical times and a chronicle of their earthy stories and long-ignored histories. The red tent of the title is the place where women were sequestered during their cycles of birthing, menses, and illness. It is here that Dinah hears the whispered stories of her four mothers--Jacob's wives Leah, Rachel, Zilpah, and Bilhah--and tells their tales to us in remarkable and thought-provoking oratories. Familiar passages from the Bible take on new life as Dinah fills in what the Bible has left out--the lives of women. Dinah tells us of her initiation into the religious and sexual practices of the tribe; Jacob's courtship with Rachel and Leah; the ancient world of caravans, farmers, midwives, and slaves; her ill-fated sojourn in the city of Sechem; her years in Canaan; and her half-brother Joseph's rise in Egypt.
Skillfully interweaving biblical tales with characters of her own invention, the author re-creates the life of Dinah providing an illuminating portrait of a courageous woman and the life she might have lived. A new view of the panorama of life in biblical times emerges from the femaleperspective, and the red tent itself becomes a symbol of womanly strength, love, and wisdom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ellie Your review is AWESOME! I hadn't read the book for a while and it all came back to me through your review. You should be a professional writer, if you're not already!

Feather Stolzenbach Thank you very much, however I can not take any credit for it as it is from the publisher. I just wanted to post it for the benefit of some of my friends. I thought I had put quotes around it but I guess they didn't stick. I am very sorry for the confusion.

take care!!

Ellie whoops! i'm just now seeing that you put "from the publisher! haha...sorry, stupid mistake by me. Still, that was great to read.