Matt's Reviews > American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

American Sniper by Chris Kyle

Jun 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: biography, military-history
Read in May, 2012 , read count: 1

As I'm sure many others have written, this book is laced with the author's (to me) abhorrent mentality. He sees the other side in the "War on Terror" as "animals," paints a complex religious and political situation in black-and-white, and bears no compunction about killing so many people. But, to his credit, he doesn't claim to be anything he's not. He's a soldier who believes in his mission and did his utmost to accomplish it. I also respect the respect he showed to members of other branches of the military; he seems truly sincere in his praise of the Army soldiers and Marines he fought alongside, sometimes rescuing them, and sometimes being rescued by them. I read this book for insight into the sniper side of warfare, and it was very interesting in that regard, in its discussion of weaponry, tactics, etc. The book's structure did seem fragmented: a snippet about this, a random thought about this, an excerpt from his wife, etc. Maybe there were just too many editors/co-writers involved with this book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Sniper.

03/29 marked as: read