Liane's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

Jun 06, 12

Read in June, 2012

I was able to snag it before it was even shelved. While my recent experience of seeing him speak was excellent, this book was missing the necessary humor that Burroughs has thus far injected into his dark autobiographical subject matter. He's replaced it here with an air of snobbery and derision that may have added to the tone of his books when used, for example, in the voice of a twelve-year-old; however, while giving advice to the parents of anorexic children and the spouses of disease-stricken loved ones this tone just comes across as cold. There were several gems here, but they came in the form of sentences, not chapters, and definitely not the whole. All in all, I was disappointed that the light, sarcastic read I was expecting turned out to be a collection of platitudinous advice, even if it is injected with a candidness missing in other self-help tomes. Has Burroughs granted himself an honorary psychiatry degree after too much self-examination? It feels that way.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.