Amy's Reviews > Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Secrets of Everyday Trees

Seeing Trees by Nancy Ross Hugo
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeing Trees.

07/15 marked as: currently-reading
03/03 marked as: abandoned-perhaps-temporarily
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Space (new)

Space Wow. I'd be interested in hearing what turned you on to this book. I have something similar in my dining room. A 'window'. ;)

message 2: by Amy (last edited Jul 16, 2013 07:35AM) (new) - added it

Amy I've been in love with trees and tree identification for years. I started reading this last year and got waylaid with life insanities, so I've started it again. The result of just reading the first chapter and a half was really SEEING trees for the first time. I started to watch the bradford pear tree I park under every day at work and began to notice that it actually did have teeny tiny little pears on it that finally mature in the fall into tart mushy tiny pears. I'd been parking under the tree for years without ever noticing that there were pears on the tree half the year. My little girl used to come to work with me a few days a week, so we'd check it out every day to see what was new with it. She named the tree "Tickle" and had to give him a hug every day.

This book is amazing in that the photographer created a photo-taking technique for the book that allows super-clear focus on more than just one part of the tree, so you can see things you never noticed before: like the fact that the true flowers of a dogwood tree aren't the white "flowers" we're used to seeing. Those are in fact leaves and the flowers are bunched in the middle. Such bizarre beauty.

Anyhow, take a look at the video for the book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGv21F.... That's what really got me interested in ordering the book in the first place.

message 3: by Space (new)

Space Fair enough. The only reason I ever look at trees longingly is to consider how I would build a tree house in them. :D

message 4: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Space wrote: "Fair enough. The only reason I ever look at trees longingly is to consider how I would build a tree house in them. :D"

I'm a tree, plant, rock, insect sort of person. I like to notice the things outdoors that get unnoticed by most people. I have to admit to being slightly disappointed that I was going to have a little girl instead of a boy because I was looking forward to nature adventures, but Audrey likes collecting and noticing all these things as much or more than I do.

I read your treehouse blog entry. Interesting idea. I had one growing up, but my dad built it between 4 trees rather than in 1 tree (the trees were used as the posts). A true tree house looks like a complicated thing to build, but it would definitely be a satisfying project to complete.