booklady's Reviews > Calico Captive

Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare

Jun 11, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, adventure, all-ages, biography, books-on-books, classic, favorites, fiction, historical-fiction, history, travel, war, worth-reading-over-and-over
Read from June 08 to 09, 2012

Calico Captive is the fictionalized version of A Narrative Of The Captivity Of Mrs. Johnson told from the perspective of Susannah Johnson’s younger (by ten years) sister, Miriam. As would be expected with any captivity story, it’s fascinating, fast-paced and hard to put down. The author does an excellent job of portraying a young woman confronting the competing dangers of trying to stay alive, keep family together and maintain cherishes values amidst the perplexities of multi-cultures, (English, French, Indian, and colonial) divergent religious beliefs against the backdrop of constantly changing fortunes.

Highly recommended for young—and slightly older—readers!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calico Captive.

message 1: by Homeschoolmama (new)

Homeschoolmama I've wondered what some of her other books are like. I recently finished reading the bronze Bow (have you read this? You would love that book, I think) And we read Sign of the Beaver too.

booklady It was your review which got me to thinking about reading about this book and remembering how much I like her "Witch of Blackbird Pond". She's a very good author I know!

message 3: by Frederick (new)

Frederick I read "Witch of Blackbird Pond" as an adult and liked it very much! I think we listened to it with the kids in the car also.

booklady Yes I remember liking it ... think you'd this one as well!