Rick's Reviews > Shepherding a Child's Heart

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp

Aug 14, 12

Read from July 26 to August 13, 2012

I'm torn. I have one daughter, my youngest, who is very strong willed and another who is stubborn but has a very tender heart. I hate spanking but it seems to be the only thing that gets through the my youngest. I've tried to use the techniques in this book over the past week and I've seen mixed results. It just kills me to spank them...have I mentioned that. It's good that the author says that clear and frequent communication MUST be the primary tool to teaching a child obedience. He also says that if you spank in retaliation or while you are angry that you have crossed the line into child abuse. It's a thin line and that's what troubles me so much. He does say that you should essentially phase out spanking by the time a child reaches age 5 but that assumes that spanking has been done from a very early age. I know that emotional appeals like "it upsets me when you do that" or "you're embarrasing yourself" or "other kids aren't acting out this way" can be damaging and ineffective, but I'm just not fully convinced that it's the ONLY way to do things in a "biblical" way. There has to be some middle ground here. I do agree with the underlying principle of the book "correct the heart of the child, not just the behavior" but I am troubled by the means to that end. I'll give Dobson a try...with great reservations since he's gone off the political looney deep end.....wish me luck and PLEASE feel free to offer any alternative books on this subject. I'm just looking to help my girls and did I mention I HATE spanking them? ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shepherding a Child's Heart.

08/07/2012 page 83
39.0% "The jury is still out on this one. It’s a bit heavy-handed and unrealistic in spots. The core of the book is solid and biblical. But, while it may work on my almost 5-year-old, how can I “discern the heart” of a 2 ½ year old who says “NO” 4,233 times a day?!? This book is like Candy Land: “Ages 3 and up.”"