Dawn's Reviews > Rodrick Rules

Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney

Jun 05, 12

Read in June, 2012

[I stand by my review of the first book, and repost that here. Same rating, same review.]

Just read this book, and wish I had read it before my 6 year old had. I didn't like the main character, who is lazy, mean to his best friend (who puts up with him), and sneaks around behind his parents back. There are a lot of mean charcters and poor language choices in this story. Not values I want my child to learn.

However, I didn't read this book before she did, as she gets books from friends already and reads them at school.

This book is meant for a much older child than my little 6 year old; one who perhaps already has good values instilled and knows right from wrong, so that the inappropriateness in just funny and not influential.

While I didn't like it, my child thinks it's hilarious. It's become a GOOD TEACHING TOOL. I can explain why I don't like certain behaviours this character exhibits.

I plan to read the rest of the books (as she has already read some of them) so that we can have more conversations about what is appropriate and what isn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rodrick Rules.