Mandy's Reviews > Dream New Dreams: Reimagining My Life After Loss

Dream New Dreams by Jai Pausch

Jun 05, 12

I never read The Last Lecture, but I remember seeing snippets of it on Oprah. Everyone knows Jai's husband's story, but I didn't know that she had three little kids when he was dying. Having three little kids is a chaotic time in one's life, then throw in a husband dying over the course of a few years of cancer and I don't know how this woman didn't break down every night. What made the story so touching to me was her honesty. She didn't try and sugarcoat what the stress did to their relationship, or the differences in their styles. Randy was more of a control artist, planning ahead. He took Jai's impending widowhood and planned for it in ways that I don't think most dying people would take the time to do. I would find it so painful to make the decisions that they did, but in the end Randy did everything he could to make it easier on her. Some of his ideas were off the wall, but like I said, Jai did not sugarcoat. Unwittingly, his last lecture became a source of financial security for Jai and the kids and you can't begrudge her a single penny of that windfall. On a sad note, it was jarring to see Jeffrey Zaslow mentioned in the book as the writer who helped Randy with the book. Zaslow died unexpectedly in Feb 2012 in a car accident in a snowstorm ... I wonder if this book was already at press and that's why his death wasn't acknowledged in the text. It had to have been a blow to Jai as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream New Dreams.