Rachel's Reviews > Come In and Cover Me

Come In and Cover Me by Gin Phillips

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2012

Ghosts and memories haunt Ren, an archaeologist who steeps herself in her work but avoids the same sort of passion in relationships. When evidence surfaces that points to an ancient artist whose bowls Ren has encountered before, she drops everything to spend months at the site of the dig. But the artist is not the only character with whom Ren becomes enamored; she also finds herself falling for Silas, a fellow archaeologist at the dig. Ren must discern how reliable her ghosts really are and decide for herself which reality she will live in.

After Gin Phillips' tender first novel, The Well and the Mine, this one was sort of a let-down. For one, she completely wore out the noun "thigh" and all forms of the verb "slide." Hands slid all over bodies and objects, and thighs received constant attention. I know, for example, that on Ren's left thigh are a scar, a bruise, and Silas's hand. Also, the title - which caught my interest before I'd read her other book - didn't really end up having much to do with the book. But the real reason I was disappointed is that the idea for the story is actually really good, and I think a writer with Phillips' chops could have executed it much more elegantly. Maybe she was working under a deadline?

I want to be a Gin Phillips fan. She's local. She's funny. She's insightful. But I might need a third book to prove that the first one wasn't a fluke.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come In and Cover Me.