Kathie Reynolds's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

Jun 05, 12

Read in May, 2012

This is my first book by Ron Rash. I am drawn to books with a sense of landscape, a historical connection, and characters that make me forget I am reading.
I have never been to North Carolina. Prior to reading this book I thought of it as a southern, big tobacco state. I have southern roots and Ron Rash is a master of southerness. (for lack of a better word)
Ron Rash was being interviewed on NPR and I ordered two of his books. He read from his new book "The Cove". I was addicted to his writers voice...pure poetry. He is also a poet. NO surprise!

Serena was an intro to Ron's appalachian magic...the vernacular of that period and so much history of the of the Smoky Mountains. The forest, the animals, the weather are a painting of a book.

The bizarre range of characters are as evil and dangerous as a nest of scorpions and balanced with some who give us faith in mankind.

I read passages out loud. Pure happiness to read and enough of a love story to feed my passions.
Kind of a Thomas Hardy kind of love story. And a villainess worthy of a creepy fairy tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.